Wednesday, March 1, 2023

February Update & March OMG

Well, it looks like I missed the monthly OMG link-up once again!  I started this post last night but ran out of steam.  I made some progress on both projects, but with a crazy month at work (February is annual report time, which means working days, nights and weekends) I didn't have much time for stitching or hooking.

I did get a start on my tree for my temperature quilt. This thing is large - about 60" tall and wide. 


I had to lay it out on the floor to trace and then baste in place. It took almost a day to do and was very hard on my knees! I am cutting it out as I stitch.  I didn't capture a picture but have about one and a half branches and the trunk stitched.  It is a bit of a struggle to manage all the fabric when doing needle-turn so it is slow, but I am hoping to finish the tree and start catching up on my leaves in March.


Again, work got in the way of meeting my goal on my basket rug, but I did make pretty decent progress.  I am going to stick with this project for March also, and this time am confident I can finish. I am hooking it in a 6-cut, even the background, so it does take some time to fill in, but it is pretty easy-going now that all the motifs are finished. 


I did manage to find a little time to start up one of the new projects on my "want to do" list - Blue Baskets from Piecing the Past Quilts.  I have my first two baskets finished and am nearly done with the second two.  I am off to a retreat this weekend and am hoping I can catch up on this weekly stitch-along.


On a whim - and mostly to celebrate (and get away from) the tough month at work - I decided to grab one of the spots that opened up at Pieceful Gatherings' Spring Retreat in Crystal Lake, IL. I have never been to the shop so am looking forward to visiting, and I have followed the retreat instructor, Lynn Wilder, for many years so am excited to meet her in person and work on one of her latest designs.  I am looking forward to a weekend of stitching!

I am linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal again this month - let's see if I can remember to post my updates before the end of the month this time!

4 comments:

Babette said...

Love the variety of your projects and crafts. Looking forward to seeing what your temperature tree looks like when you get it caught up. I can relate to hurting knees. I spent one day on my knees cutting large pieces of vinyl and was glad it wasn't any longer.

Susan said...

Have fun at the retreat. It sounds just like what you need for a break. You have gorgeous things going on, and I like the blue fabric for your basket blocks.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Have never done a quilt retreat but it sounds great! Have fun!

Kim said...

I hope you have a great time at the retreat. It sounds like a good thing. Your tree quilt reminds me of a Tree of Gondor quilt I made for my daughter's wedding gift. It was a job! but turned out beautiful. And your basket is too cute!