Saturday, January 2, 2021

January 2021 OMG

While I have never been a fan of resolutions, I am starting 2021 with a goal of getting back into the habit of blogging - both posting my own and reading others. The pandemic-inspired virtual explosion of 2020 has provided fantastic opportunities but has also been a bit of a distraction, at least for me.  I have spent way too much time reading Facebook posts and watching videos.  I definitely need to work on surfing less and stitching more in the new year!

One project I would love to start this year is a red & green applique quilt.  I haven't decided on a pattern yet, but would like to reproduce one from my collection.  I pulled out a few of my favorites to decorate for the holidays.  I love them all, but am leaning toward either the one on the top rung or the third one down. 


I have been making slow but steady progress on the Grassy Creek Mystery quilt. As my week of vacation comes to a close I am not even close to being caught up and I am really starting to second-guess my decision to use Bonnie's colors, but I won't give up.  I plan to focus on Grassy Creek as my One Monthly Goal for January, linking up with Elm Street Quilts.  I have now finished clue #3 (shown partly finished here) and am working on clue #4 which should be done this morning.
 

I did finish clue #5 before heading back to catch up on previous clues.  I still need to go back to clue #2 but will work on #6 (released yesterday) first. 


I also had a bit of catching up to do on my Huguenot Friendship blocks.  Once all of the shopping, wrapping, and baking were finished I was able to spend my evenings hand stitching and finished two more of blocks. 


This block gave me fits.  The inside curves on the flower were really tight.  My first attempt at doing it by needle-turn failed miserably. I had stumbled across my Appliquick tools while rearranging my sewing furniture the other day and decided to give them a try for this.  I can't say that I am a fan of having that interfacing material in the block - it feels pretty stiff, especially since there is a lot of fabric underneath it too - but I do think it turned out better than I could have done using any other method. There just wasn't enough seam allowance to prepare the edges with starch.  


I have so many new projects planned for 2021 - I have no self control when it comes to quilting!  I plan to start on the first one, Little Blocks 365, later today if I can decide on fabrics. The blocks are paper pieced (ugh!) and tiny - only 3" finished.  I need to choose fabrics that work in tiny pieces and, most importantly, will not get boring.  Not an easy task!  More to come on that - hopefully I will have progress to report by next week.  

5 comments:

Susie H said...

I love your color combination for the Huguenot blocks and they both turned out so pretty. Keep going on Grassy Creek. I don't think the colors BH chose for this one could make an ugly quilt! I almost jumped in just because of her colors! Lol!!! Happy New Year, Dana! I'm looking forward to seeing your 2021 projects!

moosecraft said...

LOVE those red & green quilts! They all are eye catching....difficult to choose just one for reproducing! :-) Your applique is beautiful! I'm hoping to blog more this year too... I think I averaged one post a month last year? lol! Too much floss tube watching during the covid "shelter in place".... ;-) Looking forward to seeing those 365 blocks....sounds like a real challenge!

Jennie in GA said...

Your red and green quilts are amazing. Will be eager to see which one you choose to reproduce. I have a red and white quilt on my to do list this year...but it was also on last year’s list. It will be a priority for this year. But it will be pieced. I haven’t blogged in a month. I need to get back to it on a regular basis as well. I admire those that actually finish Bonnie’s mystery quilt. So many small parts. My one attempt is still in a bin awaiting finishing. Your Huguenot blocks are lovely. Happy NY.

Pihu Gurgaon Girl said...

Your awesome topic is yours. I like these topics very much. I would like to have such topics daily, this post is really good for you. There are people like you in the world who put their views in front of everyone. Thank you from the heart.
Gurugram vip girl
Gurugram party girls
Gurgaon dateing girl
Naughty Girl Gurugram
Real photos Girls Gurugram

kajal sharma said...

Thank you very much, you wrote a very good post, you have written this post through your thoughts and this post is really beautiful, such a post has seen very little till date and I am thankful that you have posted this very well Written.

Online Gurugram Girl number
Butey Full girl gurugram
Gurugram Girls Hostel