I attended the Williamsburg Applique Academy the week before last and did a workshop with Missie Carpenter. I really enjoyed it! We were working on her Gardens of a King pattern, which involves some very complicated piecing. We learned her technique for starch-prepped EPP. I can’t say that I was completely in love with this technique for those particular blocks - my method of choice would be traditional had piecing.
While I was not thrilled with using the starch prep EPP method for piecing the tiny points, I am completely in love with it for prepping hexies. Missie shared some of her prepared hexies with us and they stitched together so easily - it was SO much better than with the papers inside, and there’s no paper to remove at the end. I practiced preparing some so I could demo the technique at TAS.
They were so much fun that I almost want to start a new hexie project (or perhaps I should get back the the PG summer BOW from a couple of years ago).
I worked on binding Floral No. 5 at Wool Club. I’m only about half way around so no picture this time. My reason for mentioning it us actually because I’m all excited about starting a new rug next month. Our topic next month is “hit or miss” and after recently organizing all of my leftover worms I have been wanting to do a hit or miss rug. I remembered one I loved at Warsaw a couple of years ago - I’m thinking of drawing up a similar pattern.
I mainly forced myself to get back to my mystery quilt this weekend. I made good progress, finishing the alternate blocks and starting to piece the rows. There’s still a long way to go, but I am motivated to keep pushing now. I really like how it is coming together.
I will be finishing up the weekend working on my Schoolhouse Sampler rug. I’m almost down to the grass now so the end is in sight. I need to have it ready to start binding when I’m finished with the other one - and I can’t wait to get back to the rug I started in Eureka Springs!
Linking up with Sugarlane Designs for FNSI this weekend...