I originally wasn't in love with the teal cornerstones in the Grand Illusion mystery quilt setting and had started using black instead. Then a very creative quilter posted a slight variation of the pattern on the Quiltville Facebook page and my mind was changed - the simple addition of a teal inner border completely pulled it together! She also added a couple of other 2" borders that increased the size to around 96" square which worked better for me. So, following her lead, here's what I ended up with:
I absolutely LOVE it! I am very happy with how it turned out, crazy bright colors and all. I decided that I will use some black batik that I have on hand for backing. Now I just need to find a quilter....
After that top was complete, I moved on to my LeMoyne Stars. I had ordered a couple of pieces of Japanese taupe fabrics from Homestead Hearth as possible sashing and luckily one of them worked out well. The blocks were a bear to work with! I have definitely learned an important lesson about hand piecing - cut the outer seam allowances really large! I will also pay better attention to where the bias falls next time. After all of the handling in piecing the outer edges were a little off-square and required a lot of finessing to get right. By the time I got the center together I was too exhausted to deal with the outer borders. It took the better part of two days to get it to this point:
I am very happy with how it is turning out! I have two more borders to add - a 2" blue one (the same fabric as the sashing) and a wide (6") one of background fabric - and then it will be ready for quilting.
This past weekend was our annual Wool Club Camp at Nola's. I didn't accomplish much - it was very crowded and just not conducive to working on my giant rug. I also think I was too exhausted from the week and too distracted by a rescue puppy I fell in love with on Facebook (she's still available and I am trying to control the impulse to call about her....) to do much hooking. Here's a peek at where it stands currently:
I still have quite a way to go, but I am making progress. I also made some progress on a couple of other projects this week, one which is on my UFO list and one that is not. I made a bit of progress on the second diamond wedge for my Rising Sun while flying to and from New York this week - it wasn't picture-worthy. Over the weekend I pulled out a project that has accompanied me to several retreats but returned home untouched - My Garden Album. I did all of the scrappy cutting for the sashing blocks and even started piecing them.
At this point they are just a messy pile next to the sewing machine, but it's a start! Considering I have had all of the applique blocks finished since 2010 or so it's about time to get this thing together.
All things considered, I feel like I am off to a strong start for the year! There are about three new projects calling my name but I have resisted temptation thus far... And then there's that puppy...Not sure how long I can stay strong!