Thursday, September 17, 2009

Summer's End Block 4

I'm continuing to plug away at my Summer's End BOW project. I finished block four shortly before leaving for New York & BOP last week. I prepped block five and took it with me to New York with high hopes of getting it finished on the trip. I might have actually gotten it done had I remembered to pack a needle! I was so bummed - it's not like you can readily get your hands on a chenille needle in midtown Manhattan.

Inspired by Kathy Delaney's class and quilt at BOP, I pulled out my Hearts and Flowers blocks last night. I started the project with my applique group in 2006, when I was very new to applique. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I did a pretty decent job on them! I have nine blocks finished, but had started a tenth one to replace one I wasn't too impressed with. I don't think I ever planned to make all twelve - I was shooting for nine. After close inspection, I have decided that I need to redo the flower on one of the blocks, but the other seven are in good shape. I think I will try to get the new block finished and the flower reworked over the weekend, and then set my sights on designing a setting. I think it needs something on the border, but I'm not sure what yet. I like Kathy's Celtic hearts, but don't think I want to commit to quite that much additional work...I want to finish this one in time for show & tell at BOP next September!

No comments: