Thursday, December 9, 2010

On the Road Again

It's been another crazy travel week with little progress on any projects (other than work!).  I did have a chance to break away for a little fun here and there, though.  On Monday night I took a long walk to see the New York store window displays, Radio City Music Hall, and Rockefeller Center.  New York is really hopping at this time of year - the streets were full of people shopping and sight-seeing. 





















On Tuesday I headed to the American Folk Art Museum to see their "The Year of the Quilt" exhibit.  The museum is fairly small - the exhibit consisted of about 25 quilts.  There were several absolutely gorgeous applique quilts in the collection.  I took a lot of pictures (it's one of the few museums that actually allows non-flash photography) and also bought the new book they have released that shows their quilt collection.  The book weighs a ton - I am probably going to regret purchasing it after hauling it through all the airports tomorrow!

Today I was in the Boston area and finished up a bit early, so I checked the GPS for quilt shops.  I don't know how I lived without a GPS!  Much to my delight, I found that I was only about 15 miles from the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, MA, so I jumped on the highway and headed that direction.  One of the exhibits currently on display is a collection of antique blue and white quilts.  I loved them all!!!  I need to add a blue and white quilt to my "someday" list. 

One of the things that really captured my interest in the shop was a collection of out-of-print books they are selling to benefit the museum.  They had several of Elly's books (including two copies of "Spoken Without a Word" for $300 each).  I picked up a really wonderful applique pattern book by Pat Andreatta and one of Pat Campbell's early books.  There were actually two books by Pat that really caught my attention, but I decided I needed to exhibit at least a little self-control and leave one behind.  I had never heard of Pat and am looking forward to trying to find out a little more about her.

I'm headed home tomorrow and am looking forward to Wool Club on Saturday.  Nola is issuing a challenge - I can't wait to hear what it is!

No comments: