Monday, September 19, 2011

More on the Baltimore

As I mentioned in my previous post, there were quite a few unusual techniques used in the Baltimore Album quilt we viewed at the IQSC.  A couple of them were included in this block:
















They are easier to see in the close-up below.  First, there is some sort of crocheted edge around the monument.  I believe it is emboidered directly on the quilt rather than couched, but it was difficult to tell.  The second thing we thought was interesting in this block was the piece of fabric with the spiral on it (I'm not sure exactly what to call it!).  It looked like the maker created this fabric herself, either by dyeing using a resist or bleaching in some manner.  I don't know too much about quilt history, but I don't think either technique was all that common in the mid-1800s.
















There were also several blocks with flowers that were created from a single stuffed piece of fabric with embroidery used to form petals.  Here's one:
















Notice also how the maker embroidered around the flowers and leaves.  Here's another example:
















It was such a beautiful quilt!  I am looking forward to reproducing a couple of the blocks one of these days...

No comments: