I couldn't wait for the first SBOW shipment to arrive. I was SO disappointed when I returned from New York and my package was not waiting for me. And then that weekend when nothing came. Then, on June 20, it arrived.
Even though I knew that the first shipment would contain the background fabrics for all of the projects I somehow didn't expect it to be this large! It was full of all kinds of wonderful goodies. I was very excited!
Fast forward to the following weekend, when I had already received week two in the mail and was feeling a little behind. I never expected to keep up with all - or even any - of the projects but figured I would be able to make a respectable dent in at least a couple of them with a weekend of sewing. I decided to start on Among Friends. Lisa Bonjean recommends starching fabrics - says it is critical - but I am not a fan. I have previously seen her method of saturating the fabrics with starch and letting them dry and was curious, then saw an episode of The Quilt Show where a "precision piecer" also recommended prepping fabric that way. I finally tried it with a couple of the 365 Challenge blocks. I saw absolutely no difference in accuracy and didn't feel that it helped in the piecing at all. I therefore decided I would skip straight to the sewing. After an entire weekend of sewing I had maybe one or two stars completed and a huge stack of paper-backed pieces to trim and press. Add in another weekend - a long holiday weekend - and I finally finished the first week's blocks.
Sadly I can't say that I enjoyed it at all! And there are 12 more weeks to go! I am not a fan of paper piecing (these use triangle paper) and felt that the blocks did not go together well. The instructions recommend pressing seams open and I had a lot of trouble with the intersections not lining up well. I had to rip and re-sew about half of them. I haven't started week two yet, but I am thinking old-school piecing (no paper) and seam allowances pressed in opposite directions. There has to be a better way!
I finished my second album block only one day behind our June 30 deadline. It was a fairly easy block although those ovals in the center wheel started getting old..some are not quite oval-shaped. I am okay with how it turned out, though, and have moved on to block three.
I didn't take a picture of my pathetic orange peel progress for June - only 18 completed after a very strong start. The new total is 136. I am bound and determined to hit my target one of these months!
I need to decide what I will work on for the retreat this weekend. I can only attend one day but want to make the most of it!