Thursday, February 1, 2018

Wrapping Up & Planning Ahead

In stark contrast to my last post where I claimed victory on my January OMG project, I have to report a complete fail for pretty much everything else. I really tried to work on my Patchwork Times UFO, my tumbers....but they are SO boring!  It takes me way too long to choose the pieces in an effort to avoid repetition, and then every single time I add a row I find that I have somehow randomly managed to line up the same fabrics in multiple spots. I did manage to assemble a couple of rows and add one row to the section I am currently working on but it is still far from finished.

I didn't even touch my APQ UFO.  Okay, that's not quite true - I picked up the baggie with all of the pieces for one of the last two blocks and decided it didn't look at all fun to work on so it went back into the UFO pile.  

And while I had lots of ideas and good intentions to start one of my new projects for my 6 & 6 in 2018, I somehow never managed to get any of them going. I am going to bend the rules a little and start one this weekend...just a little late.

I'm pretty sure the reason behind my lack of success in January is the state of my sewing room.  It currently looks like On Ringo Lake exploded in there. Every horizontal surface (and one vertical one) is covered in pieces and parts of that quilt.


I have assembled one corner and quite a few of the blocks, including another 10 or so that aren't on the design wall yet, but I have a long way to go on it! Luckily it is this month's Patchwork Times UFO and I am selecting it as my OMG project for the month as I really need to reclaim my sewing room.


My other distraction in January was my clamshell project. I would love to have it finished before Irene comes back this fall - a real stretch, I know.  I have been prepping the clams with starch and sewing them into sections of ten rows of six. I recently went back to prepping them by basting like Irene taught in her class.  It's not quite as fast for me but it is certainly more portable! 







This is my third panel of 60 clams.  It isn't completely assembled yet and I can see one that needs to be moved now that I look at the picture...


I laid out the three panels side by side and decided that I need three more clams across to get the size I need, so I will have to make one panel of 3x10 and then will do the rest 7x10.  I am not sure how many rows of panels I will need - I will do that math later to keep myself from getting too discouraged!

So much for my non-progress report for January. Linking up with Elmstreet Quilts One Monthly Goal and 6 & 6 in 2018 - hopefully I will do better at sticking with my plans this month!

7 comments:

Patty said...

Your Ringo Lake is going to be beautiful. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

Susie H said...

In spite of feeling so blue over not making progress on a few fronts, your On Ringo Lake is beautiful!! And I have to add that I also love your Clam Shells. In both, the colors you're using are so calming and lovely to the eye. I never touched my On Ringo Lake after retreat over MLK's Birthday weekend. Ugh! Need to get moving on that one!

Clare M said...

Your quilt On Ringo Lake is so beautiful. I love your colours. Don't be sad - you really did achieve quite a lot and that's the main thing. The clams are beautiful too. As they say, "good things take time" and you are doing good things.

Elaine said...

I love your colours for on Ringo Lake, and your clamshell quilt! i have one on my never ending 'one day' list

mangozz said...

Your On Ringo Lake colors are beautiful! I'm not done assembling mine either. You are lucky you have a design wall though. It's going to be beautiful when it's finished.

Marie said...

Sometimes it feels like more 'stop' than 'start' with projects, but fret not - their time will come. I totally get needing to feel like I want to work on a project. It still looks like you've had fun with the Clamshells and they are beautiful.

Heather said...

On Ringo Pond is stunning!