Monday, March 5, 2018

Starting Something New

Now that I have On Ringo Lake out of the sewing room, I decided it was finally time to start something new.  Alabama Star has been at the top of my list for quite some time and I finally settled on a background so I jumped in with the first of the "octagon" blocks.  


I was just not happy with how the center went together with the paper pieces.  I know that I should probably get the rest of the side triangles on and take the papers out of the center before I decide, but having hand pieced a queen-sized LeMoyne Star previously I feel like getting that center right with all those papers in there will be a gigantic pain.  I think hand piecing might be the better solution. I decided to stop where I was and bite the bullet and order the stamps from the Netherlands. It hurts to pay $25 in shipping, but I think I will be happier in the long run. Now I just have to wait for them to make that long trip across the pond!

So with that project put on hold, I decided to start on the 2018 TQS BOM.  I finished the January blocks (3 each of 3 patterns) so now I am only one month behind.  I hope to be caught up by the end of March.


I had to decide what to choose for my One Monthly Goal project for March. I could have chosen one of the UFOs selected for this month, but neither of those was really calling to me. I should have chosen Triangle Gatherings to get all of those blocks and pieces off my sewing table, but I am still trying to decide how I want to set that one. I decided to go with the project I was most excited to get back to: Starlite Skies.  I have the first seven weeks' blocks completed:


And started the weekend with five left to go:


I was able to get week #8 to this point - just need to sew the big nine patches now.


I'm not sure how far I can reasonably expect to get in a month, but my goal is to at least have all of the blocks pieced. I looked at the finishing kit yesterday to remind myself what was involved and was so excited (yes, that's sarcasm) to see that all the cornerstones are stars....so I have MANY more stars to make before this one becomes a top.

Linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal (OMG) March link-up - hoping to be three for three by month's end!

5 comments:

Susie H said...

I am still in awe of your completion of On Ringo Lake!
Love your TQS BOM fabrics, too. I think it's going to be a beauty!

Patty said...

Great blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

Angie in SoCal said...

Sometimes it's hard to decide what to work on. Like that Starlite Skies.

The Sloan Patch said...

wow, you are powering through. The blocks look fantastic.

ellieshomemadehome.blogspot.com said...

Lots of work there, your blocks are beautifully pieced :)