Monday, December 31, 2018

Goodbye, 2018!

I have done a terrible job of posting progress this mystery season!  Thankfully I have been better at keeping up with the sewing - I am finished with all but one of the steps.



I have no idea how all of these pieces are going together but I am liking my colors a lot.  I opted to strip piece rather than string for those steps.



I am running dangerously low on my neutrals - hopefully we won’t need them in any further steps.  



And while I elected not to sting piece for the mystery quilt, I quite possibly have been sucked into the Moda String-a-Long vortex.  I stumbled across the blog post about the String-a-Long that included links to strip quilt inspiration on Pinterest.  It was there I saw this quilt:



I couldn’t resist giving it a try.  I found an ancient (2003) phone book and cut a page into a foundation for an 8” finished block.  I folded the square in half to try out the split light/dark block.  I struggled a bit with getting the split down the middle - I’m thinking that it would be better to sew those two strips together and align and pin the foundation paper to that to start.  I also found that I really struggled to sew a straight line when adding strips - I definitely need to do a better job of that!  This block will likely end up in the trash, but I do think I’m going to have to add this project to my “to do” list!



I am joining in on the Monday Mystery Link-up on Bonnie’s blog this week and will be spending New Year’s Eve finishing up the half square triangle step so I am ready for whatever comes next!

5 comments:

Ginny said...

Lovely strings! Happy New Year!

TheEclecticAbuela said...

Be careful--string piecing is addictive! Happy New Year.

T Craven said...

I tried to start blogging again with the mystery..........Great job! Love those strip blocks!

moosecraft said...

Congrats on keeping up with the mystery clues! Looking forward to seeing what's next...as your colorway has been my favorite from the beginning! The Moda String Along has my interest peaked as well...though I really do need to finish the Christmas quilt I started in November... Happy New Year to you!

Susie H said...

I'm planning on stringing along with Moda also, Picked out my pattern (Bonnie Hunter's Sting X free pattern) and plan on following the color scheme issued by Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Had to chuckle when I saw RSC was doing Tiny Tuesdays and the first block is a string block too. Truly the 2019 quilt trend has to be stings! Happy New Year!