Monday, November 11, 2019

Sapphire Anniversary Exhibit

I had been looking forward to seeing the 45th anniversary display of blue and white quilts at Houston ever since I heard it was planned a couple of years ago and it did not disappoint!  The exhibit was stunning!





It was pretty awesome just to sit in the chairs along the front wall and take in the exhibit from a distance.







The quilts were a mix of new and old. I loved this antique quilt from the late 1800s. This pattern is quickly becoming my favorite of all designs, rivaling my obsession with baskets.














There were quite a number of antique quilts in other exhibits also, many of them appliqué. These are just a few:











This new Baltimore album was made by a Japanese quilter. The colors really caught my eye - it was absolutely beautiful and so unique!



And then there was this version of the 365 quilt that I started a few years ago. I really liked this version.



I was excited to see that hand piecing stamps are coming back - I found two vendors selling them this year.  I know there are a lot of Cindy Blackberg followers (including me) happy to see new stamps out there.



I also found an Australian shop that makes mylar English paper piecing templates. She demonstrated how she prepares them with glue and they pop out very easily when the block is complete.  I purchased a couple of different shape sets that I am looking forward to trying out.



As usual I came home with way too much stuff, including fabric and patterns I don't have enough years left to get to. It was a great trip, though, and I can't wait until I have some free time to try out my new toys!

1 comment:

Susie H said...

From all the different bloggers' posts, I'd say the blue & white quilts were a hit. So many gorgeous examples! I noticed Diane's quilt hanging up there done in blue & white! Wow! I also loved the Japanese Baltimore Album quilt. They do such beautiful applique. Let me know how using those mylar EPP templates work out. I'd love to give them a go also!