Monday, June 4, 2012

Dyeing Frustration

I am making great progress on the Sauder Vilage rug.  So much so that I wanted to start the grass and sky this weekend.  I hate leaving all the background for last!














I broke out the dye pots on Saturday.  I hadn't done any dyeing in a while and was really looking forward to it.  I went through several recipe books and finally found colors that looked perfect - a light, bright green that would contrast with the corn stalk and a happy, sunny sky blue.  I did everything just the way it is supposed to be done, and ended up with this:














The colors in the photo aren't great...but the green clearly isn't light and bright!  The blue is way too dark.  Both colors are very pretty, but neither will work.  I considered starting over, but thought I might be better off just waiting to get them from Nola.  Definitely an 'epic fail'!

I spent a little time playing with a very old project in the sewing room this weeekend. About three years ago I went to Runaway Quilters' retreat and spent the entire weekend in sit & sew stitching these triangle papers.














I spent several hours cutting them apart, tearing off paper and pressing them.  I barely made a dent in the stack - those things are time-consuming!  














I am excited about working on this project, though. Perhaps I could finish this one (lap quilt size) in time for the quilt show....

No comments: