Monday, January 5, 2015

Grand Illusion Reveal

The solution to the Grand Illusion Mystery was revealed at midnight EST on New Year's Eve and it appears that some dedicated participants started sewing right away - I was amazed to see completed tops on Facebook when I woke up New Year's Day!  Many other finishes have been posted since then - I am amazed!  I wasn't sure how I felt about the layout at first...when I assembled some of my pieces to look at how my version came together I was not loving it. My teals and greens really don't play well together!  I auditioned a couple of other colors for the cornerstones (black and yellow) and decided black worked best. The teal just wouldn't work that close to my greens.



I managed to finish various parts of the top but am nowhere near having it all together.  All of my center and sashing blocks are assembled, and I put together part of one row just to see what it looked like.    




It is definitely bright! Blinding, perhaps.... But the more I looked at it laying on the floor of the sewing room, the more I liked it.  It is certainly different from anything else I have done!  I'm back to work today so progress will be much slower, but I hope to keep plugging away at the rows and have the top together in the next couple of weeks.

The Monday Link-up on Bonnie's blog is already full of finished tops - people amaze me!  It's fun to see how  the alternate colorways came together and how different they all look!


6 comments:

Shirley said...

Perhaps those black cornerstones are to dominant in the long rum, hope it works out.

Cathy said...

I love it with the black cornerstones. It is really pretty! I have also been looking at it, trying to decide how to proceed. I can't wait to see how yours finishes.

Debra in Ohio said...

You will definitely get a different look with black cornerstones. I would like to see a photo of the quilt when you have finished it. Be sure to send a photo to Bonnie. Good luck!

Andee said...

Way to keep at it! Looking good!

Anonymous said...

I did see comments on other blogs about quilters not so happy. This on a week that I took a class from the amazing Bonnie. Some quilters made different choices for colors, but I love yours! Bright is beautiful and the black is in just the right place. Good work. I always like to know what my work will look like before I cut, not much of a mystery quilter. So you are brave as well. Enjoy. Stephani in N. TX (Tomazec@aol.com

Vireya said...

I like your black cornerstones. They give it some punch!