Monday, January 6, 2014

Celtic Solstice Update

I'm not sure if it is Blogger or my internet that isn't functioning well this morning, but this post has taken me much longer than it should to complete!  Perhaps it's the fact that it is -6 degrees this morning...nothing wants to work when it is that cold!

Here's where I stand on my CS project:

Step 1 - Complete
Step 2 - 15 of 244 completed
Step 3 - 61 pinwheels completed
Step 4 - 228 of 300 completed 
Step 5 - 70 of 244 completed

Still a long way to go, but I am making progress.  I think I am still working toward making the king rather than scaling it back to a queen.  The last couple of queen-sized quilts that I have made seem a bit too small on my bed.

The other decision I need to make is how to set the blocks.  Several very creative people have opted to turn their chevron units around for a slight variation in the setting.  I can't decide which look I like best - both are pretty cool.  Here are a few blocks arranged in the original setting:


And here is a mock-up with the chevrons turned around:
 

I'm not sure that my colors have enough contrast to go with the second look.  The piecing is a bit muddled in the centers.  I do like the "star" look, but I think I am leaning toward the original layout to better highlight the piecing.  Decisions, decisions!

Check this week's Monday link-up on Bonnie's blog to how everyone's quilts are coming together.  They are all beautiful!

13 comments:

SandyPA said...

Oh definitely I like the second layout! You get stars rather than a blocky flower. Your colors are very pretty.

Catherine said...

At least you have enough bits done to be able appreciate the overall effect. Well done.

TLC said...

Love the second design and your colors!

Anonymous said...

I like the second setting because to me it looks like a large flower with bits of the leaves framing it... Maybe that's because I'm wishing for summer here in the frigid north!

~Jillian in North Dakota

Cherry said...

Love your batiks! They are just beautiful together in the sewn blocks. I am partial to the original layout as it isn't as chunky looking. Either way you have a pretty quilt underway!

Beausoleil Quilts said...

I agree with you- for your fabrics the original layout looks better. It is looking great.

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I love your color scheme and think your quilt will be gorgeous in either layout. The second layout looks a little more feminine, if that's the look you're seeking. I agree that there's not much contrast within your pinwheels, but that can be a good thing--it draws you in for a closer look. Last year, low contrast quilts were all the rage and I think that's why. I'm anxious to see your finished quilt. It will be beautifully unique.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful colors! I can hardly wait to get mine started. After Christmas sewing includes an heirloom christening outfit for two grandsons before I can sew for fun. Whichever setting you choose, I'm sure it will be perfect!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful colors! I can hardly wait to get mine started. After Christmas sewing includes an heirloom christening outfit for two grandsons before I can sew for fun. Whichever setting you choose, I'm sure it will be perfect!

Kimberly said...

The second block, love it with your colors.

Andee said...

Very beautiful quilt...the dark colors are striking!

AddieNCE said...

My mom loves your color choices! Guess who has to sew a quilt now... lol - that would be me!

Greetings from Germany!

AddieNCE said...

My mom just looooves your choice of colors... guess who has to sew yet another quilt with exactly THESE colors now? Yes, that would be me.

Greetings from Germany