Tuesday, January 28, 2014

New Year, New Project...

I know that I said I wasn't going to start any new projects to ring in the new year, but I obviously have no self control!  I had already planned to start my challenge rug so that it would be ready for the hook-in so it shouldn't count, right?  Nola held a two day Wool Club camp to kick off the year and I used the opportunity to start on my crows.I'm actually a little farther along than the picture shows (two more birds and a little bit of background hooked). I intended to post it last week but never got a chance.


















Nola suggested a technique I have never done before for the wire - it's stitched with yarn. I had to couch another piece of yarn under it to get the proper height.  I am loving how it looks and it is fun to do.  Here's a close-up:










I will probably change out the eyes - I'm not sure that I like them the way they are but haven't decided what I want to do - perhaps French knots?

I also started another project that I am really having fun with - a crocheted rug.  I'm not posting a picture of it as it is intended for a book Nola and her sister will be publishing in the next year or so and I am assuming they don't want photos circulated.  It is a simple pattern that is really fun to work on. It's a fun break from my "regular" hobbies.

It is really tough to fight the temptation to start other new projects!  My daughter created a painting over her holiday break (inspired by something she saw on Pinterest) and I am dying to make it into a rug pattern.  It is done on four canvases (shorter than she wanted, but all she could find at JoAnn's) and looks really cool.  She has it hanging in her dorm room now.









I think it would be incredibly fun to paint the wool for the backgrounds and hook the strips in order - something I have been wanting to try for a long time.  I'm definitely adding this one to my "someday" list! 

No comments: