Tuesday, January 2, 2018

2018 UFO List

On Ringo Lake was revealed today and I love it!  I would prefer the quilt to be a bit larger, at least as far as the width is concerned, but I think borders would end up making it too long.  I’m considering adding two more columns to make it square but really don’t like the idea of having to do all the additional piecing. I will have to give that idea some thought.  I love how my colors came together and think I am going to be very happy with the finished quilt!


As the year came to an end I took a look back at my 2017 UFO list and while it was my best year yet as far as finishes were concerned, it always amazes me how an entire year can go by without even touching a project that was of interest in January!  I was a little easier on myself last year, choosing several projects that were very near completion.  I really don't have any of those to list this year, so I decided I would take a slightly different approach and instead choose projects that already have considerable time put into them but need serious focus to get them closer to the finish line.  I am pretty sure that most of these will still be incomplete at the end of this year, but my goal is to spend at least some time on them no matter what other shiny objects capture my attention during the year.  The first is Kansas Memories (Primitive Gatherings design).  This one isn't on my quilt project list for some reason - either I forgot to add it or it was started prior to 2007 (which is a definite possibility!).  This one has been waiting for the applique to be completed for a very long time. The vine and a few leaves and berries have been basted in place but I have not done any of the stitching. I think there are over 400 leaves to be added to this one!


And then there is my Spools quilt that I started in a workshop with Edyta at Paducah in 2015 and used strips from a guild exchange to complete. I haven't done anything with the borders on this one yet and if memory serves correct there is a LOT of applique needed.


My Feathered Friends wall hanging was started in a workshop with Mary Sorenson at Paducah ten years ago. I am seeing a lot of leaves in my future!


And then there are my tumblers....my "leader and ender" failure from 2016.  I decided that leaders and enders are not for me - I chain piece whenever possible and minimize the "wasted" stitching time anyway, and figuring out which color tumbler to add each time was really slowing me down. 


I rounded out the 12 by leaving a couple of 2017 entries on my list - perhaps 2018 will be the year I am able to move at least one of those across the finish line?

I am already getting sucked into the vortex of new projects for the new year.  There are at least two that are tempting me already - and it's only January 2nd!  One of these years I need to resolve to have some self-control!

2 comments:

Susie H said...

I love your On Ringo Lake block. I'm not too sure how mine is going to look. I guess I could put a block together to check. Good thinking!

I'll be posting my 2018 UFO List complete with pictures. At least then I'll know that I knew where the projects were at least in January. Refuse to lose another one this year! Lol! Love your bird quilt. The applique & colors looks gorgeous.

Heather said...

All of your projects are so fantastic! I LOVE the jade/teal you used for On Ringo Lake! Also, the leaves... holy cow. May the force be with you!