Friday, February 19, 2010

Paint Chip Frustration

I'm down to the wire on the paint chip challenge, and I still have absolutely no idea what to do.  Here are my colors:











It's hard to tell from the photo, but the darker blue is almost lavender.  Almost, but not quite.  It isn't purple, but isn't blue.  After looking in five different shops, I think I can safely say that this particular shade of blue is not currently being produced in a quilting fabric.  I have been planning to make a tote, but hadn't settled on a pattern yet.  I found three of the colors at Homestead Hearth - they were a pretty decent match for the paint chip.


















The problem is that I couldn't find the darker blue-purple color to go with these.  Funny, but in the picture the darkest fat quarter looks like it almost does the trick.  Unfortunately it really doesn't look anything like that color in person. 

So I became frustrated with the search for the blue-purple fabric, and decided to go a completely different direction.  I saw an incredibly cute tote bag pattern that I decided would be perfect for my rug frame.  I started looking for fabrics that could loosely represent the paint chip.  I found some I really liked - it's a bit of a stretch to use them for the paint chip challenge, but I actually like these colors!















I realize that there is no pink.  I couldn't find a pink that would work for me. I decided that I could sew a pink button or two on temporarily.  I decided to go for it - had I really thought through the pattern and realized what a tote bag that uses 3 3/8 yd of fabric and two different types of interfacing would cost, I probably would have decided differently. 

So now I have a stack of pastel fat quarters that I have no idea what to do with and a ridiculously expensive collection of supplies for a new tote bag.  I have just a little over a week to figure out what I will do and get it done.  This is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be!

No comments: