Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Visiting La Jolla

I am spending the week in La Jolla (near San Diego) on business.  I flew in yesterday.  It took nearly the entire day to get here, but thanks to the time difference, I had time to do a little exploring once I arrived.  The flight out here was quite interesting, too.  I'm not sure if we were flying lower than I am used to or the sky was just really clear, but I could really see the mountains as we flew into Salt Lake City.  I've never been to SLC (or Utah, for that matter).  According to one of my co-workers, though, I still can't say that I have been there.  He says you have to leave the airport in order for it to count. 

I visited Rosie's Calico Cupboard yesterday.  What a wonderful shop!  They had an absolutely unbelievable amount of fabric.  There were walls of each color, and rooms of things like Civil War/Jo Morton.  Here's a pic of just one of the many fabric areas:
I did a little bit of applique on the flight out yesterday, and a little more last night.  I plan to do a bit more tonight.  I'm not making tons of progress, but every little bit counts!  I am working on My Garden Album block nine and Sue Spargo block one.  I find that the wool applique is a little more forgiving when dealing with turbulence. 

I did get my April flowers hooked before leaving home but didn't get a chance to take a picture.  I also thought I had the perfect background, but after hooking some of it in, I think it kills the flowers.  I am disappointed that it won't work (I bought a yard of it!) and also bummed that I don't have a solution yet.

I saw a pattern that I loved at Wool Club this weekend - Bea Brock's "Birds and Berries".  Nola also demonstrated a couple of techniques that gave me a fun idea for the May project - the theme is "flowers".  Jennifer stopped by to show us the tiles that she is making for the June project - the owl that I had been resisting very successfully...that is, resisting until I saw the tiles.  They are so cool!  I purchased the pattern and need to figure out what colors I want to use.  So sadly I am back to rapidly acquiring new projects, and I haven't even been to Chicago or Paducah yet!

I have so much to talk about - I didn't even mention the Ricky Tims' Homecoming Concert we attended last Friday.  It was very fun.  He is extremely talented and very entertaining. 

Well, it's after midnight at home, and probably time to get moving here in California if I plan to get any sewing done before bedtime.  I'll close with a couple of pictures I took after work this evening.

No comments: