Sunday, May 23, 2010

Garage Sale, Excessive Heat, and a Bit of Sewing

This weekend was crazy busy!  My sister and I finally got around to having our garage sale.  It was a popular weekend - several local neighborhoods had sales the same day (a couple because of rain delays), so the competition was stiff.  I'm never sure if all the hard effort is worth it.  It does force me to clean things out (especially the garage!), but it's certainly not much fun!  Now I have all the follow-up to take care of - getting all the leftovers picked up by whoever will take them.

The weather this weekend was wicked-hot!  It  was dry for the first weekend in over a month, but the humidity was oppressive.  Today was ridiculous - over 90 F.  I hiope it cools back down soon.  I'd hate to think we completely skipped spring!  We did have a bit of spring-like weather in April but May was cold and damp, so I'm not at all ready for heat and humidity.

I did manage to squeeze in a bit of sewing this weekend.  I finished block ten of My Garden Album:
















I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.  I used the Floriani stabilizer technique that I learned from Mariya Waters in Paducah.  Not bad, but I think I will try the starch technique next.  I still can't find anything that I like working on more than plain-old needle-turn, but it does seem like placement is a bit more accurate when the pieces are prepped ahead of time.

I also managed to do a little more sewing on the Runaway Mystery quilt.  I am definitely not good at "scrappy"!  I'm still working on the February step...I'm a bit behind, but making progress!  I have the most difficult time putting all the different tans/creams together - it just doesn't look like they should be in the same block, but I have seen so many quilts done this way and love them, so I am going to force myself to stick with it.  Here's a shot of all the pieces:

















And one of the first blocks (not sewn, but this is the general idea:

















Wow...I don't like that one bit!  This is going to be tough!

1 comment:

Taryn said...

I like it! I also like your "pieces" shot. I can't resist those fabrics. Great progress on your Calico Garden blocks, too.