Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Journaling

I often think that I need to start a journal in addition to my blog - an old school, non-electronic notebook where I can keep track of all the projects that inspire me.  I have made several attempts to keep track of the projects I have started, including those I have only purchased supplies for, but I haven't been very good about keeping them up.  I have never kept track of all the things I want to do - projects in magazines or patterns I have purchased.  Perhaps there is no need to track it all, but every once in a while when I am looking through a drawer I will come across a forgotten item.  I have to admit that I am completely out of control when it comes to adding things to my wish list, even if they are just patterns.  I can't tell you how many projects I have purchased all of the fabric for - complete kits, mind you - and haven't even touched.  It's mind-blowing!

The problem with creating such a journal is deciding how to do it such that it is useful as a reference.  I tend to think electronically, so the first thing that comes to mind is creating a spreadsheet with all of the projects listed.  A spreadsheet would allow me to quickly see what I have and track start and finish (yeah, right!) dates along with other useful information.  I could even save the spreadsheet on my phone and always have it with me.  I've tried something similar in the past, but again I haven't maintained it.  The problem with a spreadsheet is that it doesn't allow me to add pictures (well, I suppose I could, but I don't want list maintenance to become a huge ordeal) or draw sketches to capture creative ideas that flit through my mind.  A good old-fashioned notebook would afford me the freedom to paste pictures or doodle, but it doesn't keep my project list as neatly organized.  So, do I start both - a journal and a spreadsheet?  Or stick with my electronic tendencies and go with a spreadsheet, figuring out how to add in the pictures and details I want to capture?  Definitely something to think about...

Since it seems wrong somehow to post without a picture, I will include one of a pattern recently added to my wish list.  I picked up the pattern at the Chicago IQA show.  The pattern was designed by Bits 'n Pieces and is available on their website.  One of the shops in the current issue of Quilt Sampler has a finished version hanging on their wall that is absolutely gorgeous!  Here's a picture of the quilt from the BnP website:

















I would love to get started on this one (and the Blessings quilt, the one from McCall's earlier this year, and...the list goes on!)  I am also excited about this year's Primitive Gatherings BOW.   The pattern is inspired by the quilts of Florence Peto.  I have admired her work for some time and finally broke down and purchased the Calico Garden pattern and joined Froncie Quinn's "Florrie's Gardening Club" while in Paducah this year.  I am very anxious to get started on the BOW version of this quilt, and might just start work on a cotton version as well.  Is it any wonder that I am pondering ways to track it all?!

1 comment:

Taryn said...

I love that Bits 'n Pieces pattern. I bought the same one years ago and it is still sitting patiently in the "to do" pile. I have a friend who started hers when we bought the patterns and she just finished the top this spring. I keep a little quilting journal just for myself. I love writing notes and pasting pieces of fabrics I am using in it. Did you see Barbara Brackman's recent post about antique sewing journals? They are wonderful!